Mamata N. Rao is presently the Dean of National Institute of Design (NID) Bengaluru campus. She is the Principal faculty in IT Integrated Design stream and is the Discipline Lead for Master’s program in Interaction Design.
She holds master’s degrees in Design Science (Design Computing) from the University of Sydney, Australia; in Urban Design from School of Planning and Architecture, New Delhi and Bachelor’s in Architecture (B.Arch) from BVB College of Engg and Tech, Hubli.
Currently she is a member of the Governing Council and Senate of NID. She also carries the responsibility of being a Co-chair for Research and Development and has earlier served as a member of various academic and administrative committees at NID.
Her areas of teaching and interest include: creative thinking, spatial perception in retail environments, user experience and interface design, space planning. She has worked as Principal Investigator on a Department of Science and Technology, Government of India funded project that looked at digital reconstructions of bazaar streets and two monuments within the royal enclosure at Hampi.
She has been involved in various consultancy projects at NID in the areas of User Interface Design for automotive company, curriculum development for a new design school, space planning and interior projects.
She has various publications to her credit including in journals and books in the areas of Design briefs, IT Integrated Design, Creative thinking and Digital heritage.
1. Mamata N. Rao, a book chapter titled "Analysis of murals, stucco work, relief work and textual narratives for understanding the clothing styles of the Vijayanagara period" in the book "Heritage Preservation: A Computational Approach" edited by Babatosh C., Chaudhuri S., and Chaudhury S. , published by Springer in 2018.
2. Mamata N. Rao, A book chapter titled “Architectural and Social Life Reconstructions of Bazaar Streets of Hampi: Vijayanagara Period” in the book “Digital Hampi: Preserving Indian Cultural heritage” edited by Mallik A, Chaudhury S., Chandru V., and Srinivasan S., published by Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd in 2018.
3. Mamata N. Rao, Prasad S. Onkar, Deepak John Mathew, “Evolution of Design Briefs: Expressions from Professional Design Practice”, A. Chakrabarti and D. Chakrabarti (eds), Research into Design for Communities, Volume 2, Smart Innovation, Systems and Technologies 66, Proceedings of 6th International Conference on Research into Design (ICoRD) 2017, Springer Nature Singapore Pte, 2017.
4. Mamata N. Rao; A book chapter titled “Creative and Visualization Tools in context of Design” in Handbook of Research on Trends in Product Design and Development: Technological and Organizational perspectives, Arlindo Silva & Ricardo Simoes (Eds), IGI Global publishers July 2010.
5. Alex Fung, Alice Lo, Mamata N. Rao, “Creative Tools” (Chinese Edition), Horizon Media Co. Ltd, 2010.
6. Alex Fung, Alice Lo, Mamata N. Rao, “Creative Tools”, a book published by School of Design, Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong, November 2005. Reprinted in 2006 and 2007.