Research and Development activities are grounded in action-research conducted through engagement with communities and industry. The fieldwork of faculty, staff and students has often led to the design of products, services and systems that have had a significant impact on these communities.
NID’s craft documentation programme since the mid-1960s has resulted in several renowned publications on Indian craft traditions and continues to be an important part of its curriculum. The Institute has set up several Research Chairs in partnership with industry such as the Jamsetji Tata Research Chair for Universal Design, Asian Paints Colour Research Chair, Jindal Stainless Chair for Product Design Innovation and Autodesk Research Chair in Design Education and Innovation.
NID currently hosts several funded labs and centres such as:
- Intellectual Property Rights Cell (IPR), Ahmedabad Campus
- Railway Design Centre, Ahmedabad Campus
- International Centre For Indian Crafts (ICIC), Ahmedabad Campus
- Innovation Centre for Natural Fibre (ICNF), Gandhinagar Campus
- Centre for Bamboo Initiatives, Bengaluru Campus
- Smart Handloom Innovation Centre (SHIC), Bengaluru Campus
Research & Development
Phone:+91 79 26629 687Read More Read Less