National Institute of Design Ahmedabad and Ministry of Railways (Railway Board), New Delhi entered MoU on 10thApril 2015. It aims at collaboration between NID and Railway Board in all fields of Design relevant to rail transport and allied activities, with a view to design, research and innovate and develop the best design ideas .Reinforce the best design practice in transportation design for the Indian Railways with participation of young designers, design service providers, design researchers, design professionals and practitioners under Railway Design Centre at NID and benefit Indian Railways Utility Services across the country.
The collaboration between NID & Railway Board focuses on the following areas mainly:
- Improvements in station areas – such as colour scheme of the station buildings, platform shelter, station name boards, signage and display boards;
- Improvements in coaches – including coach layouts, exterior & interior colour scheme, lighting & air-conditioning, signal & telecom, and passenger amenities;
- Online services, freight service systems and miscellaneous items such as design of improved working tools for track maintainers, light weight inspection trolley;
- Environmental concerns and thrust areas, public relation issues;
- Designing the Indian Railways logo, stamps/coins of for special occasions, designing railway exhibition stalls.
Railway Design Center
Phone: Phone: +91 79 26629 786